Calendar of Events
- Lorin Johnson was promoted to Professor (full) at California State University, Long Beach.
- Lorin Johnson was guest faculty at the William J. Gillespie American Ballet Theatre School, where he gave lectures on ballet history and taught advanced ballet and pointe technique.
Johnson after teaching a Men's class at the ABT Gillespie School
- Lorin Johnson has joined the faculty of the new American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts.
- Lorin Johnson was Ballet Master for American Ballet Theatre's production of "The Nutcracker," choreography by Alexei Ratmansky, at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts.
With Alexei Ratmansky and Alaine Haubert
- Lorin Johnson is featured in the PBS SoCal documentary on the new ABT school presented by LAaRT .
- Lorin Johnson was on faculty of the American Ballet Theatre Young Dancer program at Segerstrom Center for the Arts and also on the ABT Summer Intensive program in Orange County.
- The exhibition “Russian Los Angeles: Stravinsky, Innovation in Dance," co-curated by Lorin Johnson and Dr. Mark Konecny, was presented July 10-26 at the Bakhrushin State Theatre Museum, Moscow, Russia.
- Lorin Johnson was Ballet Master for American Ballet Theatre's premiere of "The Sleeping Beauty," choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky and presented at Segestrom Center for the Arts, March 3-8 as part of American Ballet Theatre's 75th Anniversary celebration.
- Lorin Johnson served as an adjudicator on the American Ballet Theatre National Tour for the summer intensive program, auditioning prospective students in Seattle, San Francisco and San Jose.
- Johnson's project company, Body Current Dance, premiered Wind Up Toys, on April 18 at the Villa Aurora in Pacific Palisades for the conference
Russian Los Angeles: Dancers, Artists, Musicians and Impresarios in Southern California, 1920-50. Johnson was a moderator and presenter at the conference.
Photo of Courtney Abrams, Irene Kleinbauer, Amanda Kolodney, Jessica Dunn, Andrew Palomares and Gaby Mulder
Lorin Johnson was commissioned to choreograph "Romeo and Juliet" for the Pacific Symphony Orchestra's
performances at the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, April 16-18 (Carl St. Clair, Music Director).
Download the program here
Photo of Keira Schwartz and David Tai Lin in Romeo and Juliet
- Lorin Johnson will be teaching in American Ballet Theatre's Sunday Intensive Program at Segerstrom Center for the Arts, February-April.
- ANNOUNCING THE PUBLICATION OF: Experiment, Volume 20 (Guest Editor, Lorin Johnson)
To order, please visit: www.brill.com/expt
Download press release here
- Lorin Johnson's choreography is shown in the exhibition, "Russian Performance: a Cartography of its History," at The Garage Museum in Moscow, Russia. Johnson's work, Motobio: Bodies in Movement is displayed on video in the room dedicated to experimental dance artists Lev Lukin and Aleksandr Rumnev.
A review in Mousse magazine can be read here.
- The Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow will be exhibiting photographs and video of Lorin Johnson's 2003 work, Motobio: Bodies in Movement in their upcoming show, "Russian Performance: a Cartography of its History" in October, 2014.
- Lorin Johnson will be the Artistic Coordinator of the American Ballet Theatre summer intensive program in Orange County, July 28-August 15.
- Experiment Volume 20,
Kinetic Los Angeles: Russian Émigrés in the City of Self-Transformation, dedicated to Russian dance, music and visual arts in Los Angeles (Lorin Johnson, Guest Editor), will be in print November, 2014 (Brill Publishers, Leiden (The Netherlands.)
Photograph of Elise Reiman in Adolph Bolm's The Spirit of the Factory at the Hollywood Bowl, 1931.
Courtesy of the Jerome Robbins Dance Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Astor, Lenox and Tilden Foundations.
- Lorin Johnson will be teaching and adjudicating audition classes for the American Ballet Theatre National Tour in Long Beach, San Francisco, San Jose and Seattle.
- Lorin Johnson choreographed The Rite of Spring in collaboration with dancer Heather Glabe for the LA Grand Ensemble, a dance/media piece performed to live orchestra at the Los Angeles Theatre Center on December 19 and 20.
Photos of Heather Glabe by Mathew Caine
- Lorin Johnson was in St. Petersburg, Russia November 19-29 as a participant of the arts festival Diaghilev P.S. Festival 2013. In St. Petersburg, Johnson taught a ballet master class at the legendary St. Petersburg Conservatory (founded 1896) and gave guest lectures at the St. Petersburg Conservatory, the St. Petersburg State Theatre Arts Academy and the St. Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts. These guest lectures were made possible by the support of the U.S. Consulate and California State University, Long Beach.
Lorin Johnson teaching a ballet master class at the legendary St. Petersburg State Conservatory (founded 1896), the former school of George Balannchine.
- Lorin Johnson co-curating an exhibition with Mark Konecny, "Russian Los Angeles: Stravinsky, Innovation and Dance" at the Russian State Museum of Theatre and Music in St. Petersburg, Russia. Featuring photographs of Russian artists in 1930s Los Angeles, the exhibition is a component of the Diaghilev P.S. Festival and will run November 24, 2013-January 15, 2014.
Lorin Johnson speaking to the U.S. Consulate General at the opening of the exhibition, Russian Los Angeles: Stravinsky, Innovation and Dance.
The opening of the exhibition, Russian Los Angeles: Stravinsky, Innovation and Dance in St. Petersburg, Russia (November 24)
- Lorin Johnson is continuing to edit the journal Experiment, Vol. 20, dedicated to the influence of Russian dance, music, visual arts and film on 1930s Los Angeles. Experiment is published under the auspices of the Institute of Modern Russian Culture at the University of Southern California and will be published fall 2014. For the journal, Lorin Johnson is authoring an article on Lester Horton's 1937 Le Sacre du printemps as well as co-authoring an article on Adolph Bolm's The Spirit of the Factory (1931.)
- Lorin Johnson served as Artistic Advisor to the Los Angeles Music Center's festival, LA's Rite: Stravinsky, Innovation and Dance for the 10th Anniversary of Gloria Kaufman Presents Dance at the Music Center. .
Lorin Johnson, Artistic Advisor for LA’s Rite; Ashley Wheater, Artistic Director for The Joffrey Ballet; Renae Williams Niles, Programming Director for The Music Center; Thor Steingraber, Vice President of Programming for The Music Center; Stephen Rountree, President & CEO for The Music Center; Millicent Hodson, Dance Historian; Kenneth Archer, Dance Historian. Photo, courtesy Los Angeles Music Center, Gisella Garcia-Schatz.
- Lorin Johnson's company, Body Current Dance, performed Social Domain at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, May 24 and 25, in the Dance Bistro festival. Please visit the Body Current Dance company website.
- Body Current Dance will be performing Lorin Johnson's multimedia dance work, iSELF, in the So Cal Dance Invitational at the Robert B. Moore Theatre, September 21, 2012.
- Lorin Johnson continues his work as Artistic Advisor to the Los Angeles Music Center, organizing a major exhibition of archival photographs, community events, and academic symposium on the 100th anniversary of Nijinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps.
- Lorin Johnson will be conducting research in New York at the Performing Arts Library, July 10-15.
- Lorin Johnson is teaching and choreographing for the American Ballet Theatre summer intensive in Orange County, July 30-August 17.
- Lorin Johnson performed at the Wilshire-Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles for the 40th anniversary performance of composer Michael Roberts, presented by the Colburn School.
- Lorin Johnson will give pre-performance talks for the Ballet du Grand Theatre de Geneve at the LA Music Center, April 13, 14 and 15 an hour before each performance.
- Lorin Johnson wil serve as the Artistic Advisor of the Los Angeles Music Center's 10th Anniversary for their dance series in 2013.
- Lorin Johnson introduced ABT ballerina Misty Copeland for her master class at California State University, Long Beach.
- Lorin Johnson will be teaching audition classes for the American Ballet Theatre summer intensive tour in Southern California, January 21 and 22, at California State University, Long Beach.
- The Orange County High School of the Arts performed Lorin Johnson's Poison Ivy on December 9-10, Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theater, California State University, Long Beach.
- Lorin Johnson premiered a new piece, iSELF, in collaboration with composer Rychard Cooper, for the Dance Department at California State University, Long Beach, Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theater, November 16-19.
- Lorin Johnson's article, "More Than Skin-Deep: The Enduring Practice of Ballet in Universities" will be published by Routledge in Theatre, Dance and Performance Training in Volume 2.2, September 2011.
- Lorin Johnson's article for Dance Teacher magazine on ballet training in universities appears in the September 2011 issue.
- Body Current Dance performed Lorin Johnson's Elegy (What Rises Can Fall) at the Los Angeles Dance Invitational, Ford Amphitheatre, on August 6, 2011.
- Lorin Johnson taught for the American Ballet Theatre summer intensive program in Orange County from August 8-12, and also staged the divertissement "Jardin Anime" from Le Corsaire.
- Lorin Johnson taught and choreographed for the American Ballet Theatre summer intensive program at the University of Alabama, June 26-July 16. His new ballet, Flight, will premiere at the Moody Music Center on July 16.
- Lorin Johnson's 2010 work for Body Current Dance, My Breath Comes Differently, was nominated as a finalist for a Horton award in choreography.
- Lorin Johnson was the guest speaker at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts during performances of the Eifman Ballet from St. Petersburg, Russia, April 26-30.
- Lorin Johnson was commissioned to choreograph a historical lecture demonstration for the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Inside Dance, performed April 30 ( Samueli Theatre) and June 17 (Segerstrom Center.)
- Lorin Johnson taught audition classes for American Ballet Theatre's summer intensive program at Cal State Long Beach, January 22-23.
- Lorin Johnson was Artist in Residence for the Dance Institute of the Colburn School, Los Angeles. Perchance to Dream was performed at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles on May 7.
- Body Current Dance was invited to be the guest company in residency at the Mt. San Jacinto College, Dec. 2-3.
- Lorin Johnson directed Fusion: a Performance of Dance and Live Orchestra at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, Long Beach, November 19-20.
- Lorin Johnson was Artist in Residence in the Classical/Contemporary Department at the
Orange County High School of the Arts (OCHSA). Poison Ivy, was performed at the Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theatre December 11.
- Lorin Johnson's article on the early history of The Nutcracker ballet, "Born in Russia, re-imagined in America," was published in the winter issue of Dance International.
Please visit the Dance International website for more details.
You can read a PDF of the article here
- Lorin Johnson's work Current was chosen as a finalist in the 12th Annual Dance Under The Stars Choreography Festival at the Mccallum Theatre in Palm Springs, November 15th.
- Lorin Johnson's Shadow Play was performed by the Dance Department, California State University, Long Beach November 18-21 at the Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theatre.
- Lorin Johnson served on the faculty of r the American Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive program at the University of Alabama.
- Lorin Johnson presented a paper on contemporary ballet pedagogy at the Congress for Research in Dance (CORD) Conference, Global Perspectives on Dance Pedagogy: Research and Practice, June 25-27 in Leicester, UK. Please visit the CORD website for more details, or to order a copy of the conference proceedings.
- Body Current Dance, a new contemporary dance company directed by Lorin Johnson, performed in the Kaleidoscope Dance Festival, Northwood Performing Arts Theatre, Irvine
American Ballet Theatre Reunion 2007
Photo in graphic by Geoffrey Moore